Here’s a short list of things I’ve said no to in the last two weeks:
- Joining Toastmasters
- Joining a second developer book club
- Joining a reading competition at the library
- Taking a second class
- Participating in an ongoing lean and agile forum
I’ve come to really enjoy doing things deliberately: focusing on a handful of things I really care about and enjoy.
By contrast, here are some thing I haven’t said no to:
- Spending time with my wife cooking and playing video games
- Spending an extra 20 hours a week on my side project
- Taking an extra 2 hours to practice some problem sets to make sure I really understand the material in the one class that I am taking
Time is finite. Your attention is finite. Spend them both deliberately.